Think About the Shot Going In Son

I can remember when my son was just a little boy playing basketball out front in our driveway. We worked for hours at a time on his shot, dribbling, lay-ups, boxing out, free throws etc. We had a blast and would usually play out there until dark with the flood lights on. One of the things we used to talk about was not thinking about making mistakes. If he thought about missing shots, turnovers etc, then guess what? He would miss shots and make turnovers. The same thing is true in my life as well. If I focus on the mistakes & problems in my life then that is what will overcome me. Sometimes people ask me "why do we do a step 4 (moral inventory) in CR?"  They usually add, "I am not focusing on my past, I am moving forward." The truth is, we don't want people to focus on the past either. But in order to focus on a "healthy future" we have to acknowledge past and address it. Why? So that it doesn't become my future too. Someone once said, “If you hold back how you feel because you're afraid of getting hurt, you end up hurt anyway." Putting my head in the sand doesn't heal those wounds. I used to be afraid of facing my past because it would bring up old wounds. I have learned thru CR that in order to change, I had to be sick and tired of being sick and tired & start addressing the wounds of my past. When we nurse our problems, they grow bigger. But if we acknowledge them, confess them to God, to our self and to someone we trust, we learn from them & they make us stronger. God uses those wounds for His glory and purpose. Maybe it's time for you to get back on the court of life.  Don't worry about the "missed shots" in your life, use the "missed shots" to make you stronger. Don't dwell on the thoughts, "what will happen if..." Think instead I how nice that jump shot will look when the Father teaches you how to shoot again. He will work with you as long as it takes. He and I work til dark most days using the flood lights. :) Have a great day! Rodney Holmstrom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent