Choices: How Will This Affect Me?

“Bad is never good until worse happens." That has some truth to it doesn't it? I can remember when me and one of my younger brothers were living in a new place yet again as the "new kids". It was always awkward being the new kids in school over and over again trying to make new friends. This particular school was extra tough cause there were two bullies that harassed me and my brother pretty bad. Everywhere we went they were pressing their thumb down on us to squash our morale and self esteem. The bus rides home from school were tough too, even worse at times. One day after a tough day, we got off the bus at our stop and the two bullies were sitting in the back window. With my brother at my side, I got real brave and....well, stupid, and decided it would be smart to flip these guys off. Yea, with great authority I pointed my 2 middle fingers with the ugly facial expressions to go with it. (don't judge me) Lol, what in the world  was I thinking?  Don't get me wrong, in that moment it felt so right and good. I showed them alright... The only problem was that I forgot a very important detail and that was that we were going to see this guys again in just 17 short hours. What was I thinking?! This only made things even worse the next day and weeks/months to follow. My poor brother felt the effects of my very poor choice.  In my life I am faced with daily choices just like this. I have to ask myself, "what will the damage, consequence or affect be to me in my life for the choice I am about to make? It may feel so right in the moment but may leave years of bruises and scars on me and those close to me in my life. There's an old Chinese proverb that says, "Do not want others to know what you have done? Better not have done it anyways." Reminded today that my choices affect others in big ways and in those moments of weakness, I need to seek God and my team of brothers to help me make the next right choice. “Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life."Prov 4.23 Rodney Holmstrom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent