Perfectionism Is A Killer

I was sharing with my wife last night how perfectionism can still rear its ugly head in my life from time to time. Sometimes when I am dealing with people I love in ministry and I want so badly for them to get on a better track, find healing from their hurts & addictions, not get a divorce, restore their family, or whatever it is, I can begin to take it on myself as 'my failure' if they choose not to receive the truth. The reality is all I can do is present the truth and then get out of the way. My value cannot and should not be based on how well they do in their life. In my flesh however, I still sometimes allow that darn perfectionism to kick in and carry the weight of the problem myself. I do believe it must be a healthy burden but am learning 'their' recovery can't become 'my' own recovery. Paul says in Galatians 3:3, "Are you so foolish (Rodney)? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?" Ok, ok Paul, I hear you bro. Someone once said, "perfectionists need to find their worth not in what they do or how well they do it, but in being God's creation." Aren't you glad about that? I know I am! I am reminded yet again that I am not God. ;) God is teaching me that if my drive is to be perfect in all things, it will eventually ruin me and harm all my relationships. Grateful for another day of learning from the Father. “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2Cor 12:9 Thanks for allowing me to share part of my journey with you. Rodney Holmstrom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent