Mental Obsessions=Faith Killers

How many hours was it for you last year? You know, the amount of hours you spent worrying about something that hasn't happened? I know I spent way too much time last year worrying about things that were out of my control. You might be thinking, "don't tell me worry doesn't work, cause 99% of everything I worry about never happens." :) It has been said that worry is not an emotion, but a mental obsession. Oh how many hours I have wasted on my mental obsessions? What does it cause? Lack of sleep, irritability, strain on relationships, & feeling like my life can be out of control which ultimately leads to me being non productive. Worry can be such a time consuming obsession can't it? I am learning that worry is the direct opposite of faith and is fear in disguise. I am learning that while I don't have control over those things, "out of my control", I do have control over allowing myself to be mentally obsessed or not. As I approach this year, I want to do better about stopping and praying before the mental obsession becomes a big monster in my mind that pulls me toward fear & away from my faith in God. One way I have learned thru CR is to seek God daily, saturating my mind with His Word, thru prayer and turning those things causing me to worry, over to Him and then journal about it. I need to make sure I set balance and limits in my life as well so I don't overwhelm myself & then utilize the great people God has placed in my life. I need not worry or be fearful for anything I am facing in my life. "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self‑discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7 Maybe the worry is an indicator of something that needs to be dealt with in our life. Lets make 2013 a year of action and be proactive in tackling these concerns that can become 'mental obsessions'. I don't want timidity, but desire His power, love and self discipline toward better thinking in my life. God is in control and so I don't have to worry about it. Have a wonderful first day of this new beginning. Hope to see you at CR this year. Rodney Holmstrom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent