What Has My Attention?

"Whatever get my attention, gets me" One night everyone was sound asleep and I had to get up to go to the bathroom. (Seems to happen more and more the older I get) What I didn't know, was at the very same time my wife was getting up to use the restroom and we met at the very same time at the bathroom door, in a completely dark room.  We bumped into each other and both started yelling. Me: "Ahhhhhhhh!!!  My wife, "it's me, it's me!" Talk about getting my attention.  I nearly karate chopped her. :) In my recovery, there are times that I will be walking thru my day, expecting certain things to happen a certain way, when all of the sudden, BAM! I get blindsided with something completely unexpected.  The question is, will I be prepared to face those temptations and struggles? Thru CR I am learning that the only way I can resist temptations & deal with daily struggles is to refocus my mind onto positive truths.  There is an old saying, “Rats don't dance in the cat's doorway." In recovery I have learned that if I don't want to act in incorrect ways, I must not think and meditate on incorrect things. Thru CR I have learned that what I think, determines the way I feel. The way I feel will determine how I respond to life's surprises in dark places. Today, if I find myself in a dark spot because something didn't go my way, someone criticizes me, or if something unhealthy just crosses my path begging for my attention, I can make a choice.  I can choose to refocus my mind on His truth and not allow my mind to sink into ugly, unhealthy thoughts that lead to destruction. “Put into practice what you learned and received from me; both words and actions. The God of peace will be with you." Phil 4:9 Whatever gets my attention, gets me? Today, I hope that my full attention is on the Father. What has your attention these days? Have a great day!  Rodney Holmstrom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent