Is Everyone Staring At Me?

"What kind of dressing would you like sir?" Many years ago I was working as a retail store manager and received a gift card from my employees to a real nice restaurant. What a nice gift.  When my wife and I got to the restaurant we figured out real quick that we were a bit underdressed. Most had suits on and I was in khakis and a nice shirt. Carol had a nice sun dress on and looked great but we both immediately felt uncomfortable and embarrassed. We made our way to the table and a short time later the waiter came to take our order. Amongst other things I ordered, I also got a salad. The waiter asked me, "what kind of dressing would you like sir?" my response, "what kind do you have?"  He then went on to name all these fancy dressing names that made no sense. So, when he got done, in my state of confusion, I asked him, "....you got any ranch?" The waiter gave me a look of shock and slight disgust and replied, "you mean green herb?" I then replied, "Whatever, if it tastes like Ranch, Yes." lol, how embarrassing. In CR I wonder how often the newcomer feels this way when they walk into our ministry. Do they feel like they are not dressed right to walk into a church, don't speak the lingo, or worse yet, they have too many issues to fit in. I am challenged this AM to remember what it feels like to walk into a new place feeling naked, with a low self esteem.  It has been said, “One day, you'll be just a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.” My prayer is that when the newcomer walks into our ministry this week, that they will feel welcomed and immediately a part of our forever family.  I pray that their memory of their visit and interaction with our great volunteers will be good ones. I am reminded yet again that they want to feel loved and accepted and not looked down upon if they don't speak like us, look like we do, or have big or small issues. I pray they find an atmosphere of acceptance, love, and hope and ultimately know they are in a safe place to begin their journey toward freedom.  “Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing."Mother Teresa Start with a big smile when they walk in the door. Have a great CR meeting this week. Rodney Holmstrom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent