What Do I Worship?

From my wife: What are my idols? Who am I worshipping? On my way to work today, I heard a song on the radio that I had not heard in a long time and it smacked me right between the eyes!  I don't think I really had even listened to the lyrics of the song very closely before. The song talked about how God is the only One worthy of our worship.   Being someone who sings and plays a little, most of the time, I think of worship as being music. But as I thought about the lyrics to this song, I really thought about the ways that I could worship God in every aspect of my life. When I hear a bird sing or see the leaves change colors...when I hear my husband and children laugh because of the Joy that He has placed in their hearts...when things are going all wrong, but I know God is in control...all those things...He must be worshipped!   Then comes the bridge of the song and the tears started flowing. They lyrics say this,  "Anything I put before my God, is an idol Anything I want with all my heart, is an idol Anything I can't stop thinking of, is an idol Anything that I give all my love, is an idol" Smack! Many times in the day my thoughts are consumed with other things except for God. I am so guilty of having those idols. I get so caught up in thinking about every other thing, dwelling on my issues, getting caught up in worldly expectations, that I forget about the only One who is worthy to be worshipped.  My prayer is that I learn to put aside the idols, clear the stage of my mind and make space for the only One who deserves it.  Let the Heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the seas resound and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant and everything in them; let all the tress of the forest sing for joy; let all creation rejoice before the Lord. Psalm 96:11-13 "I can sing all I want to And still get it wrong; worship is more than a song I must not worship something that's not even worth it Clear the stage, make some space for the One who deserves it" Clear the Stage/Needham Carol Holmstrom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent