But Watch Yourself...

"Did you look both ways Rodney?" I was dropping my daughter off at the mall yesterday and came upon a crosswalk. It was interesting for me that so many people just walked across the street without even looking. They didn't even hesitate.  How do they really know that the vehicles would stop? Because it is a crosswalk, yes, they were in the right path and yes they had the right to cross. And Yes, as a driver of a vehicle I am supposed to stop for pedestrians. But, to cross without any regard to those around you is foolish in my opinion. This struck me with some thoughts about my life, recovery and how relapse plays into our life. I can be walking along doing what I am supposed to be doing and following the Lord, even walking across the street in the exact path the Lord wants me to walk. But, there is still the risk and chance that I could get struck by an enemy seeking to take me out. If you have ever known someone that has relapsed, as most of us have in some way, then it should always be a wake up call for us that it could have been us. Any time I see a fallen brother or sister, my heart aches for them first but then secondly it reminds me that it could have been me. Someone once said, “Once bitten by a snake, he is scared all his life at the mere sight of a rope." While I should not live in fear, I should not live believing that, "that could never happen to me." "So if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall." 1Cor 10:12 I have learned especially thru CR that I must take a "proactive" approach instead of "reaction" to my life.  Wisdom is not only me listening to the Father's voice and taking the right path He desires for me, but also staying alert and on guard for a prowling enemy that desires to take me out. I must not live in fear as I cross the streets of life, but I must be alert and on guard at all times. The Good news is the Father is there as the ULTIMATE cross guard to help me across. What is your proactive plan today? Rodney Holmstrom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent