Turning Back vs. Winding Up

Ever had those moments you wish you could take back? I can remember years ago when my daughter was pretty young, one day I was working in my office at home. My daughter came in to show me something. I was trying to work and I snapped at her saying, "Taylor, you know that when dad is working, you are not supposed to interrupt." Immediately I knew I was taking my frustrations out on her and responded in the wrong way. To make matters worse, I noticed she was holding a picture that she had drawn for me. (yeah I know, I am a jerk) :) You know what is so neat about this story though? In years past I would have just sat and thought about how bad a parent I am, not doing anything. Now, in this situation, I am going to her to address the situation and make a much needed amends. I walked into her room and got down to her level and said,"sweetheart, when dad did this, it was not the right thing to talk to you that way. Dad wants to ask for your forgiveness." You know what? I saw a little girl light up, looking into her daddy's eyes and say, "it's ok daddy, I forgive you" wow! The gift of doing the right thing and blessing as we teach our kids thru our example. CR has equipped me to show and "be" His living message, not just "speak" it. Someone once said, "You can't turn back the clock. But you can wind it up again." I love how CR has taught me to quit focusing on looking back on what "I should have or could have done" and now start moving forward with what "I can do to change it with Christ's help. I cant change the past, but I can grow & learn for a better future. This morning I am grateful for daily inventories, a new chance daily to clean my side of the street. I am grateful for the Father who gives me a new clock that winds up every day as I run to Him. Each day is a chance to say "Father, what on my side of the street needs to be cleaned?" “Teach me, and I will be quiet; show me where I have been wrong. -Job 6:24” Thanks for letting me share. Rodney Holmstrom

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this story, Rodney. Often I beat myself up, when making amends will bring a smile, instead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent