Misery versus Hope

I was driving home the other day and heard a song. Nothing unusual about that, but this particular song happened to be the same song I was listening to the last time I saw my mom conscience in 2009. The tears began to flow and my heart began to ache, missing my mom. The old me was trained to stuff it and don't let anyone know what I was feeling. Sounds crazy but the misery in my past could become its own drug and addiction. Have you ever just felt like staying miserable was a more attractive option? For me, yes, sounds absurd but true. Reminds me of a quote, “Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy."  The renewed Rodney was able to go a different direction & share with my wife and bring my pain into the light. The new Rodney was able to run to the Father for strength. I was reminded of Isaiah 61:1-4.  Some key words of hope that jump out for me;  "He binds up the broken hearted, proclaims freedom for the captives, release from darkness the prisoners...comforts all who mourn, provides for those who grieve...crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness  instead of mourning,  and a garment of praise  instead of a spirit of despair..." Wow! I love how God's truth can bring hope and light on our life. In that moment the Lord reminded me that He was with me in my pain & that it is ok to grieve, but to grieve with hope.  I am reminded that no matter what we may be going thru, as His children, we have hope. Right now the Father is planting hope in you and I as we seek Him. He is rebuilding the ruins in our life that may have come from generations of messiness; restoring places long devastated. The times of pain are inevitable, but misery really is optional in our life and what we do with the pain is crucial. Instead of running to the old ways of coping, isolation, self medicating, wallowing in hurt, etc, let's run to the Father and rest on His promises. Today, let's not settle for misery, but take a risk and seek happiness & joy in the arms of the Father. Rodney Holmstrom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent