Crucify My Pride

By Carl Kimbro, with Fellowship Bible Church Celebrate Recovery Devotional Team 7/31/19

Pride is a powerful tool of the devil and hinders a strong relationship with God. Pride keeps us from seeking help, makes us think we created our own success, keeps us from admitting we are wrong, and destroys lives and relationships.

In my youth I struggled with low self-esteem. It was important to me to always be seen as smart and successful. I even had nicknames for myself that reflected this desire to be the best.  As I got older, I compensated by working harder than everyone else to be successful at work, church, or anywhere I could “show off” my strengths. I made decisions that reflected my desire for attention and fed my need to offset my low self-esteem.


Philippians 2:3
            Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vein conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.”

Several years ago, I taught Sunday School in another church. People told me they were learning and growing, and we had many great biblical discussions. We had to split the class twice. Finally, there were no more classrooms to split into, so we moved to the cafeteria and averaged 70-75 people every week. I began to worry more about how I communicated than about the message I was communicating. I was teaching in my vein conceit. It became all about me and not about God. My pride took over completely and disaster struck.

Proverbs 13:10
Where there is strife there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.”

During this same time, our son & his wife lost themselves to their addictions. While he was in prison, she left their kids with us, went to work, and never came back. We now had a 3-year-old and an 18-month-old to raise. We ended up changing churches, and I had to give up teaching. At this point I began to struggle in my own problems and low self-worth. Addictive sin began to control me. I asked no one for help because pride got in the way. I was going to figure this out on my own.

Isaiah 41:13
For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says, do not fear, for I will help you.”

At my darkest point, I cried out to God for help. I confessed my need and my sin to Him. Isaiah 41:13 best describes the change in my life as I felt God’s presence. People came into our lives who had been through our struggles. We started attending Celebrate Recovery & I gave up my destructive habits and my pride. My life changed, and God used us and the bad that happened in our lives to help others in many ways.

If pride keeps you from surrendering your will to God, it’s time to let it go. Admit you're powerless to do the right thing, and turn to God for help. Only then will you find the freedom from your hurts, habits, and hang-ups that you desire.

Click HERE to listen to "Search Me, Know Me" by Katherine Scott

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent