Praising God in the Storm

By LaDwana Whittenberg, Fellowship Bible Church TEAM Training Coach, Devotional Team 7/24/19


I had the opportunity this past weekend to hang out with several friends and do a little painting. The theme was umbrellas “When life gets stormy God is our umbrella.” I found it very interesting how each person made the painting their own. How they viewed the theme of the umbrella through their own lens based on where they are in their season of life.
As I was walking through and seeing all the different pictures, God reminded me that He made each of us unique, and we all have a story to share. We can be in the same place, seeing or and hearing the same things, but we interpret things through our present or our past experiences.
Some people are currently going through a storm. Some may have experienced God in the midst of the storm; His peace and shelter.

Seeking refuge,                            




                                   Strength and seeking Him
Fear doesn’t stand a chance
                                                                                   praising,
                                         
                                                 
Ohers are finding Joy


and dancing in the rain.


Since I’m the one sharingJ, where God is taking me in my life experiences right now is Relax, Renew, and Refresh. If you’re like me, you might be way too busy and need to take some unhurried time. Unhurried time for me looks like taking time on the weekend to sit on the back deck with my Bible, journal, coffee. Just slowing and listening to what God has to say. There are times that I have to put everything down and just look around and see the beauty that God has made for me to enjoy. What I see are trees swaying from the gentle breeze or squirrels that are leaping from tree branch to tree branch (talk about a leap of faith! Have you seen those tiny little limbs that they trust with their lives?) Then I hear the birds and random bugs singing their unique songs that only they can sing. As I take the time to sit and take in all the beauty with which God has surrounded me, I think of “Relax” and I am reminded of Ps. 116:7 which says, “Now I can say to myself and to all, Relax and rest, be confident and serene, for the Lord rewards fully those who simply trust in him.’” (TPT) Do I really trust Him?
I then search the Bible for “Renew,” and the scripture that caught my eye was Ps 51:10, “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” As I was reading this, I couldn’t move past the word steadfast, so I looked it up to find some definitions. Merriam-Webster defines steadfast as: “A firmly fixed in place, immovable. Not subject to change. Hum… do I have this type of trust in God that no matter what comes my way? Do I look to Him for strength and guidance? Will I allow God to Renew me? – to become new so that I can become firmly fixed in Him.
Finally I came to “Refresh” where I found Proverbs 27:19 which says, “Sweet friendships refresh the soul and awaken our hearts with joy, for good friends are like the anointing oil that yields the fragrant incense of God’s presence. God has blessed me with great friends who allow me to just be me. I don’t have to have all the answers. I make mistakes, have the opportunity to make amends, learn from those mistakes, and know that I’m loved and accepted. I can sit with them, process, and be completely honest with my feelings and not be judged.




What does your umbrella look like?
Click HERE to listen to "You'll Come" by Hillsong United

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent