He Is My Defense

By Carl Kimbro, with Fellowship Bible Church Celebrate Recovery Devotional Team 7/17/19

God had just worked through Moses to part the Red Sea and deliver the Israelites from the bondage of the Egyptians. The Israelites were new to trusting God. They had witnessed the ten plagues with which God punished the Egyptians. They had even just literally walked on dry ground through the middle of the Red Sea as it miraculously parted to both sides of them.  But when the first crisis after leaving Egypt hit, they panicked and blamed Moses for what they saw as certain death. The joy of freedom quickly turned to despair and a longing for the status quo. It was better they said to stay in their misery of slavery than to face failure and death in the desert. They quickly lost faith in the God who had delivered them.

How often has this played out in our lives? We come to God and find freedom from our struggles. We leave our Egypt and slavery behind and head off for our new life. But the moment that first crisis hits, we say, “I can’t do this. Why, God, did you not just leave me alone? I was comfortable in my habits. Now I’m struggling, and I feel worse than I felt before.”   We’re one step away from giving up and going back.

Recovery isn’t a onetime occurrence, and then we’re done. It’s a journey that requires us to trust God for our continued deliverance. When I first came to CR, I was afraid to admit my own struggles. My need to be in control was huge. I convinced myself I could handle it alone. I didn’t trust God for my freedom, and my life continued to spiral out of control. A few people could see the lie I was telling myself and reached out to me. They reminded me God cared.

Soon I started the recovery process in earnest. Often, I wanted to say out loud what I felt inside, “This won’t work. I should have stayed where I was. I had this hope for finding freedom and now it’s gone.” But I had to believe the truth in Isaiah 41:13. God wasn’t going to let me fail. He didn’t want me to fear. He would help me.

For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you,
Do not fear; I will help you.”
Isaiah 41:13 NIV

God knew what I needed. He provided me with accountability partners who challenged me to trust Him.  When I felt temptation come my way, they were there. Slowly at first, but then more rapidly life changed for me. I still face temptation, but God is holding my right hand – walking with me through the hard times. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Are you struggling in your recovery? Don’t try to walk through recovery alone. Find Godly accountability partners to walk with you. Look to God for your strength. Let the words from Exodus 14:13-14 be true for you. Trust God and “The Egyptians” (habits/hang ups) you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.

Click HERE to listen to "My Defense" by Vertical Worship

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent