Jesus Changes Everything

By Carl Kimbro, member of the Devotional Team at Fellowship Bible Church NWA Celebrate Recovery, 2/20/2019

“Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so. 
Little ones to Him belong, we are weak, but he is strong.”
I sang these verses often as a child never really understanding them. As an adult in my addiction I sang them again desperately trying to believe them. I was miserable and needed relief. I had a God size problem that only could be solved in His strength.
“I am a grateful believer in Jesus” … As a born-again believer, these opening words were a comfort to me as I began to attend Celebrate Recovery. I was learning how to truly rely on Jesus for my strength. It wasn’t an overnight change, and it wasn’t easy.
He gives strength to the weary and 
increases the power of the weak”. 
Isiah 40:29 
I was weary and I was hiding in denial. I wanted to see change take place, but I couldn’t do it on my own. Through Celebrate Recovery I put my hope in a renewed relationship with Jesus. It wasn’t easy at first. Many days I wanted to give up. But with encouragement from my friends in CR, I continued to put my trust and hope in Jesus.
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.” 
Isaiah 40:31. 
My situation changed with each passing day. I could feel the hope promised in these verses take shape in my life. My soul felt a rekindled relationship with God that began to manifest itself in true service for the Lord in other areas like childcare, prison ministry and the Grand Parents as Parents (GAP) care group Cheryl and I lead at Fellowship. I began to share my story with others and saw that it gave them hope too!
My faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior was already in place. Yet I tried to solve my problems in my own strength. That resulted in complete failure and despair. Things always got worse and not better. But when the words in Psalm 28:7 became real to me things changed. 
The LORD is my strength and my shield; 
my heart trusts in Him and He helps me. 
My heart leaps for joy and with my song I praise Him”. 
I placed my complete trust in Jesus and His ability to help me. I no longer tried to fix my problems in my own strength. He became my hope and my freedom. 
The problem was always me. My addiction was the result of me looking for relief from the turmoil in our lives in places I shouldn’t. The inability to stop was the result of me trying to fix myself. But Jesus changes everything! When we put our faith and trust in Him, life change takes place!  
What about you? Are you tired of fighting a losing battle with your hurts, habits and hang-ups? Turning to Jesus, relying on HIS strength and letting Him have control over all of my life helped me find the freedom I was seeking.  It can help you too.  
Click HERE to listen to "Jesus Loves Me" By Chris Tomlin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent