Got Accountability?

By Carl Kimbro, Fellowship Bible Church, CR Devotional Team, 9/19/2018

During my first open share at Celebrate Recovery, I was told I needed an accountability partner. Over the next 3-4 weeks, I began to understand what that was and saw it as a “great idea” I need to be a part of. So I asked a couple of guys to be my accountability partners and they agreed. Because I or they didn't reach out, that was the end of the story. I never called them and they never asked me anything that would hold me accountable. Over the next few years, the process repeated itself often. Sometimes people asked me to be their accountability partners and sometimes I was the one doing the asking. But the end result was the same. There was no accountability either way. I was fine with this because I didn’t have to give an account for my lack of progress. I could continue on with little or no change in my life.

The Bible points out that God holds us accountable for our words, our actions, and our relationship with Christ.  Therefore, accountability is an important part of the recovery process and part of God’s plan. But is an accountability partner biblical?

Hebrews 10:24-25 says: 

“Let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”

Often times we will see another believer struggling with sin and temptation. The Bible calls on us to pull that person closer to us and not to push them away. We are to encourage them in Christian love and help them get back on the path of living for God and doing God’s will. We should never forsake meeting together since we can’t encourage each other if we don’t interact with each other.

We are not to put off encouraging one another and holding each other accountable. The day of the Lord is approaching, and we need to act with urgency.

Galatians 6:2 is an example of what accountability really is. It says: 
“Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ.”

We are to bear one another’s burdens as fellow travelers on the road of life. Two can more easily bear the burdens of life than one. When we are there for each other we fulfill the law of Christ and His commandment to love one another. Loving one another with God’s love shows we are truly a child of God.

We need accountability. It’s biblical and is spiritually healthy. I began by stating that I had accountability partners but I didn’t understand their importance in my life. As I went through the recovery process I learned how to be accountable to others in my relationship with God. Today I have three accountability partners that have become my VERY good friends. They are important to my recovery and I couldn’t imagine doing recovery without them. I would encourage everyone to take accountability seriously and remember the words of Galatians 6:2 and carry each other’s burdens. Recovery goes better when we do this!

We are better together!
click HERE to listen to "Brother" by Needtobreathe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent