Best in Wrinkles

By Sarah Bryant, Fellowship Bible Church, Rogers, Celebrate Recovery Devotional Team writer, 2/26/20


The other night I was flipping through the channels and saw something that caught my eye. It was The American Rescue Dog Show. Being a rescue dog owner, myself, I had to see what it was all about, and, of course, quickly got sucked in. This was not your typical dog show where high-dollar, purebred, pedigreed pooches were perfectly groomed and trained to prance around the ring on command for the coveted “Best in Show” title. It did follow the same format, but these dogs were mixed-breed, once (or twice) abandoned and unwanted, some still a little rough around the edges. But there they were, standing proudly with their now (even prouder) “fur-ever” owner, in a beautifully decorated ring, being cheered by the crowd. And unlike a traditional dog show, the prizes being awarded were for categories like “Best in Snoring,” “Best in Couch Potato,” “Best in Ears,” an especially heart-warming “Best in Special Needs,” and believe it or not…“Best in Wrinkles.”

As I sat there on the couch with my own rescue dog, Banjo, watching (and, yes, she was
watching) the judging for “Best in Talking,” I got to thinking about my struggle with
perfectionism and self-worth. For most of my life I bought into the lie that I had to be flawless. I was worthless if I wasn’t perfect, and there was no way anyone would love me if they saw my “wrinkles.” But ever so slowly over the past couple of years I’ve learned how big of a lie that is.

Just like those pups, I don’t have to be perfect to be loved…loved by others, and especially, to be loved by God. And God doesn’t just love me in spite of my imperfections, He loves me because of them. He did make me after all! I imagine Him standing there proudly beside me just like the owner with the three-legged dog, or the dog that snores like an 80 year old man, or the one with the strangest ears, or even the one with the most wrinkles. None of those things make them unlovable, but rather all the more lovable!

I don’t have to fit some mold of the “perfect person” to have value and be loved. Why should I spend so much time and energy trying to cover up my “wrinkles?” Like all of those adorable dogs, what I see as my imperfections are actually what make me interesting.

I hope you recognize your value and take time to appreciate the beauty in your unique creation today!

“For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. 
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.” 
Psalms 139:13-14

Click HERE to listen to Psalm 139("Far Too Wonderful") by Shane and Shane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent