Fill My Cup

By Kareena Holloway, Fellowship Bible Church NWA CR Women's Encourager Coach 3/7/18


Have you ever been doing something for so long you just get tired?  Take running for example.  
What are some key components to running a long distance?  

You need to:
  • dress the part!  You can't run a mile in clothing that's too thick or doesn't breathe, and you want to have good shoes on! No flip-flops!
"Therefore, put on every piece of God's armor so you will be able to 
resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm."
Eph. 6:13 
  • hydrate and fuel your body before and for the extent of the distance.
"But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. 
It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life."
John 4:14
  • get and give some encouragement as you go.  You're not in this alone!
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10
  • go with confidence and set a good pace for the endurance.
"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have laid hold of it. But one thing I do: 
Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 
I press on toward the goal to win the prize of God’s heavenly calling in ChristJesus."
Philippians 3:14
  • celebrate the little victories or markers during and all the way to the finish.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, 
let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. 
And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, 
the pioneer and perfecter of faith."
Hebrews 12:1-2a

So, no matter where you're leading, participating, or serving, don't let your cup get empty.  The last thing you want is to burn yourself out!  Let's face it, burnout isn't fun for anyone.  I remember a time when Joe and I were Children's Ministry department leaders for 0-2-year-olds back in California.  We were at a mobile church which meant that every Sunday we came to set up every little thing, take care of the babies, and then disinfect and tear everything down for a repeat the following week.  We did this week after week for two years.  Finding other volunteers was a challenge.  So, by the end of a 2-year run, our cups weren't just empty, they were bone dry!  We had lost our passion and zeal and were just completely burned out!  We didn't want to serve anywhere!  Many years later, God has restored us completely to a balanced attitude of serving and giving back out of gratitude.  

People have sometimes said to me that I serve in so many areas and they've wondered how I don't burn out.  Honestly, I just follow the format above.  Whether I'm leading, participating, or serving -
 
I:
  • stay in God's word through devotionals, reading, song, and other forms of worship.  
  • reach out for encouragement and give it away as well.  
  • Remain confident in what I do by leaning on God to guide and direct my steps, and I 
  • Take time to rest and celebrate!  
Click HERE to listen to STEADY by For King and Country

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent