Tell Me About Your Day Son

As a dad, one of the greatest gifts I have is to visit with my kids after their day. Sometimes, there are upsetting things that took place in their day and of course as a dad, I want and need to hear those things as well. Hearing the good things in a day are fun and replenishing to hear as well. The reason for this is because they are family and I desire that conversation, that relationship with them. Last night at around 11:45pm was one of those experiences. My son got home from his college basketball game that he played in Joplin. I was not able to attend but my wife Carol went on our behalf. Unfortunately they ended up losing by 3 points in this game.
While it was heartbreaking for him to lose this game that they felt they should have won easily, it was good for me as his dad to hear what he was experiencing play by play throughout the game. As his dad it was so neat to just hear what he was a feeling when this happened or how funny it was when that happened etc. The neat thing to witness was my wife getting in on the conversation as well.
They were talking about how the ref missed a call that was obvious, or how Jason missed a lay-up because he lost the ball out of his hands. Or how the last second shot didn’t fall for them to take it into overtime. All the highs and the lows were all being shared and experienced together with me as they recalled all that had happened.
Interestingly enough, we have two people that both experienced the game but they were talking to each other, laughing about funny moments, or grieving the tough ones and as a dad I got to sit back and soak it up.
It hit me as I hugged my son and he went off to bed how special it was to have that moment with him. To hug him and tell him how proud of him I am and that tomorrow is a new day. I turned the light off and lie there in my bed thinking about the conversation. A light bulb went off in my head as I lie there that this is what my Father, Jesus Christ desires from me. He wants to know about my day. Why? He loves and cares about me enough to listen. Even though He already knows what I experienced and in fact already knows when I was sad today, when I felt exhilaration after a great victory, or when I was struggling to hold my tongue in a dispute from my flesh taking over. Yes, He already knows and yet still wants to hear from us. I realized that He wants more than just a list of things I need for my day. He wants more than a general, “be with us this day…”
He wants to know and hear about what I think and feel this day. He wants a relationship with me. Yes, the Father even wants to hug me and tell me how proud He is of me and encourage me to keep on fighting and persevering especially in the difficult times. Jesus is the greatest listener we will ever meet.In Celebrate Recovery we learn that in order to maintain the momentum in our recovery we must reserve a daily time with God for self examination, Bible reading, and prayer in order to know God and His will for my life and to gain the power to follow His will. As stated in principle 7 of CR. He is wiser than we could ever imagine so why wouldn’t we go to Him for those daily interactions?
By taking the time to share our day with Him and then write it out in a journal, I am allowing Him the opportunity to share with me where I can and need to grow. I am allowing Him the opportunity to comfort me, care for me and allow me the chance to feel His love in a relationship rather than a vending machine as I can easily fall into in my time with Him.
By doing this daily I can take time to reflect as the Holy Spirit speaks to me thru His Word on how He can change me today. To look at my physical, emotional, relational and spiritual health as a believer. By writing out my thoughts I can look for patterns and grow from them so I can become a better man, husband and dad to my kids, and one that more clearly hears the Good Shepherds voice as one of His sheep. “Let’s take a good look at the way we’re living and reorder our lives under God.” Lamentations 3:40 MSG. Then in James 4:10, “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up.”
When I look up at my Father, He lifts me up from whatever I am facing and celebrates with me with whatever I am celebrating.
When I have my eyes on Him, then true joy full of hope fills my heart.
“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12 NIV
May the Lord inspire us today to be joyful with faith, love and hope. To allow Him into every part of our day because He desires that with you and I so very much.

For information about Celebrate Recovery contact Rodney at 479-659-3679 or roholmstrom@fellowshipnwa.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent