Bread Of Life

By Eric Hutchinson, Fellowship Rogers CR Training Coach, 9/16/21


One day I was walking through my kitchen and

 there were some muffins cooling on the kitchen

 countertop. They smelled incredible and I picked

 one up and took a bite. It was horrible! I can’t

 remember if my wife intentionally left out the

 sugar trying to make a healthy muffin or just

 forgot an ingredient, but it did not taste like I

 thought it was going to taste. The sweet smelling 

muffin was a deception and totally destroyed my expectations.


Have you ever expected something to be really good but when it happened

it just didn’t meet expectations?  This has happened to me a lot as I have lived my life. I

put a high expectations on something and it just doesn’t deliver. It could be a house, a

car, a family meeting that should’ve gone well, but didn’t or it could be that I thought

something would make me happy and whatever it was didn’t.  In Real Estate we call this

“Buyer’s Remorse.” I have found that some times, people and things can bring me

temporary happiness but in the long run I always seem to get disappointed. 


Let me ask you this question:

What are you seeking in life? Most would say happiness. But

happiness is relative, depending on who you talk to. Some would say, having enough

money to pay the bills or a lot more money to have physical possessions. Sometime we

base our happiness on other people and how they treat us.


In John 6:35 Jesus said, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go

hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” Jesus wasn’t talking about

physical bread or actual water to quench our thirst. He was talking about fulfillment in

life. He meant that He is the only thing that can actually satisfy your spiritual needs.

Nothing else completely satisfies like Jesus. Psalm 107:8-9 says, “Let them give thanks

to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for mankind for He satisfies

the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.” 


Have you been disappointed in people

in your life? Have you been searching for fulfillment in your job, money, material

possessions? Those things may bring temporary happiness but in the end it will leave a

bitter taste in your mouth like that muffin I ate.


  • Colossians 3:2 says, “Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the

things that are on earth.”


  • Matthew 6:33 says, “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live

righteously, and he will give you everything you need.”


So, if you are tired of being let down by the people and things of this world, set your

sights on Jesus, our higher power. He will not disappoint! I love you friend. Have a great

 week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent