His Plans Are Higher

Written by Jenni Moon, Fellowship Bible Church Celebrate Recovery Devotional Team, 11/13/19

I've always wanted to be good enough. That feeling of inadequacy led me through the depths of chemical dependency, sexual addiction, and self-reliance. I felt that nothing ever went my way. My life was a tragedy, and not a tragic comedy either. 

Thanks to God working through Celebrate Recovery, my life is no longer a tragedy, however, tragedies do still happen. Recently, I moved into a new home. It was a leap of faith that I could afford it. Twenty-six days later I stepped off the curb on my way to a job I loved and received three avulsion fractures in my right ankle. As a CNA, I knew my career was through. Although it took a month of denial before I reached that conclusion, I did not have to choose to use mind altering substances or sex to numb the pain; physically or mentally. 

Through it all, God has been there. Deuteronomy 31:6b states that God never leaves nor forsakes us. No matter how we choose to use our free will, God is with us. A spiritual life is not simply a theory, as we have to live as God would ask us to; accepting God's blessings whether or not we see them as blessings at the time. 

I often have to remind myself that God knows the desires of my heart (Ref Psalm 37:4 NIV), but He also knows what’s best for me. That's is where my faith in God's plan comes into the equation. I am reminded of Jeremiah 29:11, that God’s plans are to prosper me, to give me HOPE and a good future.  Celebrate Recovery teaches us through the Eight Principals
that God gives us workable tools to help us as we wait patiently for His timing.

While I envisioned a long career as a CNA, God saw that I was needed elsewhere and knew I would be too stubborn to go on my own. He yearns for a personal relationship with us, (Ref Hebrews 11:6 NIV) and will use our hurts, hang-ups, and habits to draw us near. In my case, He used a hurt and a habit. I WANTED to use pain medications. Through my faith I CHOSE to use God's word. 

A Bible that is tattered and torn apart is usually owned by someone who is not. We must join God in His word. In John 8:31 Jesus says, "If you hold to my teachings you are really my disciples." Maybe we don’t get to keep a job we loved, but we do get God's never ending grace and mercy. "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:1).

Click HERE to listen to "Nothing Else" by The Belonging Co, featuring Cody Carnes


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent