Life is like a box of Lego’s

By LaDwana Whittenberg, Fellowship Bible Church Celebrate Recovery TEAM Training Coach, 1/30/2019


There's a room in the women’s open share that has a box of Lego’s and over the years God has shown me that He works in our lives like Lego's. How, you ask? Thanks for asking.

Just like Lego's, my life is made up of many pieces. When I started in recovery this is what I had to offer: a bucket full of Lego pieces. As life threw a piece at me, I would find the bucket that was in the back corner of my closet and throw them in with the others. All I knew to do was to keep them all organized and in the same place, this way I was in control. After I added the new piece(s) to the box, I would put the box back in the closet that way it was dealt with and I didn’t have the think about it anymore. The trouble was when my box was full all I knew to do was get another one to start filling up and before I knew it, I was running out of room to stuff all the Lego pieces.
My life was spinning out of control and I couldn’t deal with things. I was angry, and I took it out on innocent people. I looked to others to fulfill my needs, and food was always the answer if nothing was going right and the list goes on.

Just like Lego's, I need some direction. Step by step, instructions so I would know exactly which piece came next.

What I’ve learned that this is how God works. He shows me step by step through His word / His instruction book what I need to do next. I first have to admit that I need help.

For I know that nothing good lives within the flesh of my fallen humanity. The longings to do what is right are within me, but will-power is not enough to accomplish it. Romans 7:18 TPT

This is encouraging to me to know I’m not the only one that know what is right and yet find myself making poor choices. I read more in Gods word I find more help.
Therefore, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.  James 5:16 NIV
I don’t have to try and put the pieces together all by myself but can ask for help. When my niece was working on her newest Lego, she asked me if I would organize the pieces for her so she could find them more easily. I sorted them by color and shape and after I had that done, she asked if I would pull the pieces that were in the instructions on the page she would need next.
So, for me I first must ask for help, I don’t really know what that looks like at first, but as I start accepting help then I see things that I need help more help with / accountability. God’s instructions sheet puts it this way:
It’s better to have a partner than go it alone.
Share the work, share the wealth.
And if one falls down, the other helps,
But if there’s no one to help, tough!

11 Two in a bed warm each other.
Alone, you shiver all night.

12 By yourself you’re unprotected.
With a friend you can face the worst.
Can you round up a third?
A three-stranded rope isn’t easily snapped.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

I need safe people in my life that aren’t afraid to ask me the tough questions, that will call me out when I’m in denial, and will rejoice with me in the good times. Just like Gods instruction book says:
Some friendships don’t last for long, but there is one loving friend who is joined to your heart closer than any other!  Prov 18:24

So, by following the instructions one Lego at a time there is a very fun result. Not every instruction book looks the same and the end results aren’t the same.
God made us all different and we all have different giftings. I need to embrace my gifts and use them in the best way I know how. God’s instruction book says it like this:


The Spirit gives to one the gift of the word of wisdom.
To another, the same Spirit gives the gift of the word of revelation knowledge.
And to another, the same Spirit gives the gift of faith.
And to another, the same Spirit gives gifts of healing.
And to another the power to work miracles.
And to another the gift of prophecy.
And to another the gift to discern what the Spirit is speaking.
And to another the gift of speaking different kinds of tongues.
And to another the gift of interpretation of tongues.
Remember, it is the same Holy Spirit who distributes, activates, and operates these different gifts as he chooses for each believer.
1 Corinthians 12:8-11



Are you ready to ask for help and dive into God’s instruction book to see He has for you?
Click HERE to listen to "Broken Vessel's" by Hillsong Worship

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent