A Heart of Compassion

By Susan Nichols, Fellowship Bible Church CR sister, 2/21/2018
Today, I overheard a conversation about 21-year-old Washington State QB Tyler Hilinski, who recently committed suicide. Two things happened as I listened to the comments people made. First, I was struck by the lack of compassion for a hurting young man and his family. Second, I realized that sometimes I’m not as compassionate as I should be either. Turning to Scripture, I began reading verses that reminded me how the Lord felt (feels) about people who are suffering. Below, I’ve listed scriptures and the questions I’ve been asking myself. Maybe you can relate.

“When the Lord saw her, He felt compassion for her, and said to her, 
"Do not weep." (Luke 7:13)

“Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them because they were distressed
and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd.”
(Matthew 9:36)

  • Am I showing compassion to the hurting people around me or have I become focused solely on my own concerns? How can I find balance?

“…the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor.” (Matthew 26:45)

“But Jesus knew what they were planning. So he left that area, and many people followed
him. He healed all the sick among them,”
(Matthew 12:15)

Jesus also did many other things. If they were all written down, I suppose the whole world could not contain the books that would be written.” (John 21:25)

  • Am I allowing God to use me? While I do have legitimate needs to take care of, have I carved out time to serve others? If not, how will I do so?

When Jesus heard this, he told them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor--sick people do.
I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are
sinners."
(Mark 2:17)

“News about Him spread all over Syria, and people brought to Him all who were ill with
various diseases, those suffering acute pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures,
and the paralyzed--and He healed them.”
(Mark 2:4)

“A crowd soon gathered around Jesus, and they saw the man who had been possessed
by the legion of demons. He was sitting there fully clothed and perfectly sane, and they were all afraid.”
(Mark 5:15)

  • Jesus came to save the sin-sick and the lost. Mental illness, addiction, abuse, neglect—these are ugly realities of life in a fallen world. Walking with people through their own personal ‘valley of the shadow of death’ can be difficult.

Am I willing to do difficult things for the people which God places in my path? How can I demonstrate the love of Christ to those the world has given up on?

“A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:12

“Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.” Ecclesiastes 4:9

  • Quite simply, we need each other. We’re better off having people to journey with. Do I know someone in need? How can I support them this week?

Dear Lord, Thank you for loving me enough to show me where I have been lacking. My heart’s desire is to be pleasing to you. Help me, please, to serve you by serving others. Show me someone today whose life I can touch for you. Help me to be your hands and feet today and be sensitive to the needs or sufferings of others. Lord God, may you be glorified today in all things! --Amen!

Click HERE to listen to "This Is Our God" by Chris Tomlin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent