Worth the Wait

By Carol Holmstrom, Celebrate Recovery National Assimilation Coach, December 20, 2017




A little over 25 years ago, we were anticipating the birth of our first child. It was a difficult pregnancy and there were many concerns that he would be born prematurely. Even though he was born a little before his due date, I remember being so thankful that the timing of his birth was perfect. Looking back, the months we waited for the birth of our son were short, but at that time, it seemed like an eternity.
I can't imagine the anticipation of Elizabeth and Zechariah awaiting the miraculous birth of their son, John. They knew that he would "be called a prophet of the Most High, for you (John) will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him." (Luke 1:76). As a parent, I have had many days of anticipating what my children would become. How incredible it must have been for Elizabeth and Zechariah to know that their son was set apart to be a "prophet of the Most High." Mary had come to visit them during this time; she was anticipating the miraculous birth of another son, the Son of God, Jesus Christ. He was the promised Messiah, whose birth had been prophesied about and anticipated for many generations. How long those nine months were for her!
Elizabeth and Zechariah had to wait those months for the birth of their son, John. Mary and Joseph likewise had to wait those long months for the birth of their son, Jesus. But even more so, generations had waited and waited for the fulfillment of the promise of the Messiah.
So many times, I get impatient. I want God to hurry up and move and answer my prayers. But then I remember that His timing is always perfect. I don't always understand why there has to be a wait, or why He moves (or doesn't move) the way I think He should. But, it's in the waiting that I grow in Him and learn to trust Him more. I have to rest in that.
Are you in a season of waiting? Are you struggling to wait for His timing? Are you struggling with understanding why things are the way they are?
Not long before Jesus was arrested and ultimately crucified, He was speaking to His disciples and He said this: "Peace I leave with you. My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27 (NIV)
We can rest in this peace and remember that His peace doesn't come from the world, but from Him. His promised mercies are to be expected when the full time for them has come and not before. I know I need this reminder. Do you?

Click HERE to listen to "It Is Well" by Kristene DiMarco

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent