What Is Your Defense?

Imagine a man standing in a courtroom getting ready to face the Judge for some hideous wrongs he committed in his life.
The courtroom is full tension as the prosecution prepares to present his case against the accused. Imagine the man being accused, full of guilt and shame for his wrongs with no real hope of coming out of this alive.You see, the prosecutor, the accuser, is seeking and even demanding the death penalty for the accused. The accused is feeling full of despair and even condemned in his spirit. The prosecution is even so bold to laugh out loud in the courtroom as he sees and knows the outcome is in his favor for the death penalty. How bold can he be? Has he no class or dignity?
The man being accused is now growing even more anxious cause at this very moment he doesn’t even have an attorney. That right, he is facing this trial and Judge alone and now the picture looks even grimmer.
At that moment, in walks a man. Some people in the courtroom are now whispering, “I heard about this guy, he’s good.” Some say he is even considered one of the greatest attorney’s in the universe. Really?! C’mon, the universe? No one is that good.
As he entered, he walked right over to where the accused was sitting and sat right down next him. The accused man is stunned. He asks the question, “Are you representing me?” The attorney smiles with a warm expression and replies, “yes sir, but only if you will accept me.” The man replies, “Yes, I accept you!” His attorney goes onto say, “Do you admit that you have done wrong in your life and accept me as your advocate? Do you believe in Me?” Yes, YES, YES, the accused replies.
About that time the bailiff calls out in the courtroom, “All Rise!!” Everyone stands in honor of the Judge. Just then the judge makes eye contact with the accused man, and then his attorney. Now the judge is even smiling. What is the world is going on here?
The Judge asks the defense attorney, “are you representing this man?” “yes Your honor”, replies the attorney. Then the judge asks the accused, “what is it that you are here for son?”
“I have committed very wrong things in my life Your honor. I am completely ashamed of what I have done and feel some much guilt and condemnation for all I have done. I am ready to surrender my life in humility. I realize that justice requires I burn for my mistakes” replies the accused.
Then the judge says something that stuns the courtroom. He says, “son, you cannot be tried for something that is no longer on the docket. Your case has been wiped off the docket and therefore you are free.” “Wait a minute!!!!” shouts the accuser. He goes on saying, “I demand the death penalty for this hideous man full of sin, shame and disgrace! He is nothing and deserves the wrath of judgment, to burn for what he has done. I will NOT Tolerate this.”
The Judge smiles again and says, “there is not a thing you can do counselor. That man is being represented by a fine man who has already paid the price for the accused.”
Just then, the attorney for the accused leans over and whispers in his defendant’s ear to say, “that guy is my Father.” The accused begins to think to himself, “Wait a minute...could this be? This attorney representing me is the judges own son?!” What are the odds of that? He is stunned.
The Judge continues in his dialogue toward the accuser, “You see Satan, the attorney for the accused is my own Son and He in fact is the best defense attorney in the universe, he is his advocate and is pleading this man’s case for him. His attorney, Jesus Christ, is not only his defender, but his atoning sacrifice that he made for the accused and his sins. This makes it possible for him to stand before me, the Judge, as his mediator.
Why? Because Jesus Christ, my son and defense attorney for this man has already suffered the penalty in his place. My Son has already paid the death penalty for this man’s sin thru his own death on the Cross, burial, resurrection and ascension. He satisfied the wrath of justice that this man deserves because he is now a part of Him. His attorney, my son, Jesus Christ satisfied the requirement and removed this man’s sin the moment he accepted my Son and repented of his sins. When the accused are united with my Son, they are then safe from all harm. “
From the words of John: “My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.” 1 John 2:1-2 The judge then pauses and directs the following statement to the accused, “ Based on this new information, the gift of mercy, not giving you what you deserve, and the gift of grace, a gift given to you that do not deserve, by my Son, Jesus Christ, I am declaring you NOT GUILTY! You are free.” “There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Rom 8:1) This case is now dismissed. The accuser leaves the courtroom in disgust knowing there is not a thing he can do about it.
The accused turns and gives his attorney a big hug and says, “thank you so much for all you have done. I don’t know how I can ever repay you for this.”
Jesus looks the man in the eye and says, “this was a free gift to you and a way to my Father. But please know that it was not free. Rather it was paid with a very high cost, My life. There is nothing good or bad that you can do that will change my love for you. You cannot earn your way into heaven or my love. I love you just as you are my son. However, as you have now accepted me, and your heart has changed, free from guilt, shame and condemnation now that you are one of my beloved children, now walk in the light. You ask me, “what can I do?” Focus on me. Allow me into your life and allow me to have a relationship with you daily. Allow me to grow you and change you by removing the character defect you discover in yourself as we walk together. Allow me to transform you and guide you in this tough world you live in. The only hope you will ever find is in Me. I will help you stay on track but you have to listen to Me as your mentor. I will change you through My Word and the Holy Spirit being alive and active in your life. I help you deal with life’s hurts, habits and hang-ups in your life. I will comfort you when life’s disappointments come your way. Put your faith in me. Lie at my feet daily and listen to my voice as the Good shepherd. You are one of my sheep now and I know every single thing about you from you past, present and even into your future. I am your Father, Comforter, Protector, Refuge and Strength in the storm. He is an ever present help in time of need.
"I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
6 This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.
8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
9 Fear the LORD, you his holy people,
for those who fear him lack nothing.
10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
11 Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
12 Whoever of you loves life
and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from telling lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous,
and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16 but the face of the LORD is against those who do evil,
to blot out their name from the earth.
17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Ps 34:4-18
Jesus goes on to say, “Most importantly, go share this Good News with others so that they may receive what you have been given.”Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit. Matthew 28:19
Though we will face consequences here on earth for our actions and choices it is good to know that our Father wipes them out because of what He did on the Cross for us. We are NOT GUILTY. I was that man standing accused in my life and am ow a free man because of Christ. CR helps me now to deal with my character defects so that I can grow in my relationship with Him.

I hope this brought you some encouragement today friend.
Rodney Holmstrom. For information about Celebrate Recovery contact Rodney at 479-659-3679 or roholmstrom@fellowshipnwa.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent