You Are Not Alone

By Eric Hutchinson, Fellowship Rogers CR Training Coach, 10/13/21

I’m living through a pretty good season of life right now. However, that wasn’t always the case. I recently was thinking back on a time that wasn’t so good. In December of 2008 things were not going well for my business and I felt very alone. Have you ever felt alone even though there were people all around you? I’ve noticed that when I’m going through trials the enemy comes in with the lie that I’m the only one who is experiencing hardship and that I am on my own. This simply is not true. 


So, there I was sitting at my office desk, preparing to leave work and head down to Texas with my family for Christmas with the in-laws. I was feeling depressed because my wife and I had recently went to our tax guy and he had informed us that we owed more taxes than we had the money to pay. This wasn’t a small amount of money and I had no idea how we were going to pay our taxes. Our national economy was falling quickly into a recession and since I’m in sales, the future looked bleak. I remember hearing a loud revving sound behind me out in the parking lot. Then, I hear squealing tires. Then, a car came crashing into my office sending me and my desk across the room! An elderly lady had just got her hair done, got into her car and was trying to leave. She was confused and thought her car was in gear, but it wasn’t. She pressed down hard on the accelerator and then reached down an put her car in gear. She thought she had put it in reverse but in actuality she put it in drive and shot forward like a rocket! Her car jumped the concrete lip on the sidewalk and came crashing into my office. Fortunately her back tires caught on the concrete lip and stopped her car from pushing me through the rest of the building. No one was hurt but it was a shock to say the least. I remember thinking, “Really God?” Things aren’t bad enough that you had to push an old lady through a building to hit me as well? But God was working and I didn’t know it. 


I went to Texas with my family and I remember getting a call from my parents who told me that my Great Aunt’s house had burned to the ground. My Aunt was living with my parents and had her house rented out. No one got hurt but her house was completely destroyed. Again, I couldn’t understand why all these bad things were happening. Several weeks later, things were continuing to get worse financially for my business and I was quickly becoming worried about having to declare bankruptcy. Then, I got a call from the insurance company that represented the lady who crashed into my office. They said they wanted to compensate me for the damage to my office.  They sent me a check for almost the exact amount I owed in taxes! My Great Aunt also got a large payment from the insurance company on her destroyed house and my parents gave me a portion of that money which helped to pay the bills for a few months. Wow! God provided in the midst of my troubles. There were several blessing from these events that I won’t go into details about but here’s the point. I’m NEVER alone. I may feel alone and things may look grim. But God is always working! Here are some verses to cling to if you are going through some troubles of your own:

 

  • Psalms 34:18 - “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”
  • Deuteronomy 31:8 - “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged.”
  • Romans 8:38-39 – “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

 

Remember, the enemy wants you to believe you are the only one who is experiencing hardship and that you are alone in your struggles. This is a lie! Cling to God’s word which tells us the truth. You are NOT alone. I hope this message finds you in a good season of life. However, if you are struggling please reach out to your forever family who can support you during this time. Your higher power has not left you and is in fact working in the background. May God bless you and keep you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent