Freedom from our Fears

By Carl Kimbro, Fellowship Bible Church Celebrate Recovery Devotional Team, 7/14/21

Fear is a strong motivator for me. There are times when it’s a positive motivator that keeps me from doing something dangerous. But it has also caused me to do the wrong thing, like lie to hide sin. Or believe that I have to follow the crowd to avoid looking bad, even if it’s wrong or immoral! Worse yet, fear has often caused me to try to fix myself instead of turning it over to God.

My fears can take many forms:

· Fear of failure as a father to my adopted granddaughters.

· Fear of losing my job.

· Fear of people seeing me as I really am.

There are so many fears in my life, I can’t fit them here! If I am honest, most of my fears are unfounded. I often find I worried for nothing because my fears never came to life. But even when my fears turn out to be real, I still struggle because I often don’t put my trust in God. I try to fix it myself. I don’t include God in prayer, or ask my accountability partners to pray for me. I simply keep it a secret and move forward trying to show the world, “I got this, and it’s all good!”

“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed; for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

Isaiah wrote 41:10 as part of a larger message of comfort to the people of Israel. They would be taken away into exile, and life would be anything but good. Yet in the midst of all of this, God promised his people redemption and freedom. Nowhere does it say that freedom would instantly happen. But if they placed their faith in God, and trusted in Him, they did not need to be downcast or depressed. God promised to strengthen them so they could endure the struggles. He promised to provide freedom from their affliction. He promised to comfort them by upholding them in His righteousness.

There was a lesson for me early on at Celebrate Recovery in Isaiah 41:10. I came looking for freedom from the bondage of sin and depression that surrounded me in my circumstances. When I trusted that Jesus could and would deliver me, I saw change begin to take place. My faith started small, but grew a little at a time. Saying no to sin and embracing Jesus brought lasting life change one step at a time. I was no longer desperate and searching for relief. God used CR to help me find freedom. Life is so much better now that I learned to trust God.

Are you tired from the struggle? Are you ready to give up the exhaustion that comes with fear? Are you ready to stop worrying? Embrace Isaiah 41:10 and put your trust in God, Let his strength provide you the freedom you need to live without fear. Lean on His strength and allow Him to lift you up in victory over fear.

Click HERE to listen to "Stand In Your Love" by Josh Baldwin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent