Thanking God for My Scars

 By Sarah Bryant, Fellowship Bible Church Rogers CR Devotional Team, 6/16/21


I remember way back in March 2020 when the pandemic started to disrupt our lives, and everyone was afraid of being quarantined for fourteen days? Back then, fourteen days seemed like an eternity, and I was concerned about what I would do if I were to be stuck in the house for that long. So I bought a book in case I needed to pass the time.   I have a hard time allowing myself to read fiction books, because I feel like I need to be “more productive” with my time. I guess it’s my perfectionism coming out, but I almost always seek out non-fiction, history books so I can still be learning something in my “off” time. So I bought a book on D-Day. It’s a great book, but as the pandemic progressed, along with everything else going on in the country, I decided a few days ago that I needed to read something a little more upbeat and fun. As I aimlessly wandered through the unfamiliar, non-fiction section I came upon Harry Potter. I know…I’m about 20 years late to the party, and yes, I also know these are children’s books. But I bought the first book in the series and was determined that I was going to relax and read it, and I wouldn’t have to do any deep thinking. Little did I know that I wouldn’t even make it out of the first chapter before the Lord put it on my heart to think deeply about myself and my recovery. Ha! 

As the story starts, Harry is only a baby and his parents have just been killed. He was rescued and taken to his aunt and uncle’s house. But just before the rescuers place him on the doorstep of his relatives they look down at him and see a scar on his forehead from a wound he got when the murderer tried to kill him too. One of them remarks, “He’ll have that scar forever,” then another asks, “Couldn’t you do something about it?” It’s the rescuer’s reply that made me stop and reflect. When asked if he could remove the scar the rescuer says, “Even if I could, I wouldn’t. Scars can come in handy.” 

As I thought about that some more, I began to think about the difference between a wound and a scar. I couldn’t always clearly see it, but the difference is that the wound is what happened because of the damage or pain, but the forming of a scar is the process of healing from that wound. I would often hear people who had come through a struggle say that they wouldn’t change a thing. I always thought, “That’s crazy, surely if someone had the choice to avoid pain they would.” And I still think that’s true…no one would choose pain. But what I’ve come to learn is that I think what they’re really saying is not that they wouldn’t change the wounding, but that they wouldn’t change the scaring. 

Wounds happen, both physically and mentally. The world is broken and hurt people, hurt people. But by God’s grace, wounds aren’t meant to stay wounds. God designed the human body to form scars – to heal. If scars don’t form the wounds fester, but a scar is evidence that healing is occurring. And scars do come in handy. They are reminders for me of what I’ve come through and what I continue to work on. They remind me of my strength and God’s strength, and they help me to relate better to and encourage others in their time of need. The process of moving from a wound to a scar can be painful and long, but the healing of the wounds and the forming of the scars has led me to people and places that have changed my life forever. Healing is still a process, but one that God graciously allows me go through. He loves me too much to let the open wounds fester, and I believe He has a plan to use the scars He’s forming to help others as well. Every struggle and every tear, every moment of joy and every victory, every caring person and every safe place, contribute to forming the scars in my life that heal the wounds. And I thank God for all of them. 

Wherever you are in the process, whether you’ve got a fresh or festering wound or are years into the healing I hope this leaves you encouraged today, as I’m reminded that even Jesus has scars, and they sure did come in handy when Thomas needed a little faith. 

“Now Thomas…was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples told him, ‘We have seen the Lord!’ But he replied, ‘Unless I see the marks from the nails in his hand, and put my finger into the marks from the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will never believe it!’ Eight days later the disciples were again together in the house, and Thomas was with them…Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you!’ Then He said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here, and examine my hands. Extend your hand and put it into my side. Do not continue in your unbelief, but believe.’ Thomas replied to Him, ‘My Lord and my God!’”  (John 20:24-28) 

How will your scars come in handy today?

Click HERE to listen to "Greater Things" by Mack Brock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent