Knock Knock!

By Eric Hutchinson, Fellowship Rogers CR Training Coach, 6/23/21

I recently read Revelation 3:20, “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with Me.” 

 Many ministers use this verse to evangelize or share the gospel truth of salvation through Christ. While it is true that Jesus is always inviting the lost to come to repentance through Him that is not what this verse is talking about. This scripture was for the Church at Laodicea. These were Christians that were riding the fence between living for Christ and living for the world. Jesus called them lukewarm. Verse 20 is an incredible visual of Christ standing at the door of our heart, asking to come in and fellowship with us. Let’s break it down. 

 “Here I am!” I love these first three words as they show the Creator of the universe giving me attention and desiring my attention. 

 “I stand at the door and knock.”  Wow! He is knocking. The powerful God of the universe is knocking on my door! He could easily force me to worship Him and kick down my door clean off its hinges. But He doesn’t. He knocks patiently, asking for my permission to come in. If that’s not humbling, I don’t know what is. 

 Thirdly, he says, “If anyone hears my voice…” He is not only knocking but He is speaking to me. My King Jesus is speaking to me, calling for me to open the door. 

 Fourthly, he says that if I open the door He will come in and eat with me. Isn’t it funny how many things in our culture revolve around food? We just celebrated Memorial Day. This is a day that is known for BBQ, hamburgers and hot dogs! People ask family and friends over for lunch and dinner to celebrate. Christmas, Easter, and the 4th of July are all times for my family to gather around a large table, eat and fellowship. Jesus desires to come in and fellowship with me like I do with friends and family around a dinner table. Wow, what an incredible picture! 

So, the point is simple.  Jesus desires to come into our lives and fellowship with us.  What an incredible opportunity and privilege. The BIG question is, will I answer the door? How about you? Have you been ignoring that knocking? Have you heard Jesus’ voice? I hope you are in a great place right now spiritually. I hope you are in fellowship with Christ. However, if you have strayed in your faith a little… Jesus is knocking. Will you answer? I love you my friend and I hope you have a blessed week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent