Feeling Discouraged?

 By Eric Hutchinson, Fellowship Bible Church, Rogers, Celebrate Recovery ministry TEAM Training coach, 9/2/20

Have you ever read or heard the story of Elijah vs the Prophets of Baal? It’s a great story, and if you haven’t read it check out 1 Kings 18-19. 

To give just a brief summary, Elijah was a powerful prophet of God during a time in Israel’s history when they had turned their back on the one true God and had begun to worship a false God named Baal.

Jezebel, the King of Israel’s wife, had killed all of the other prophets of the God, so Elijah challenged the prophets of Baal to a showdown in hopes of turning Israel back to God!  In the presence of all the people of Israel, Elijah challenged the prophets of Baal to have their god send fire down to burn up their an altar which had a freshly killed bull on it. After the false prophets had danced, prayed, cut themselves, etc. all day there was still no fire, so at the end of the day, Elijah stopped them and essentially said, “Now it’s my turn.”  Elijah said one prayer to the living God, and immediately fire flew down from the sky and consumed not only the meat but the altar, as well! The people of Israel immediately fell to the ground and worshiped the one true God.

Elijah had just witnessed an incredible miracle of God!  But the king of Israel at the time, King Ahab, went home and told his evil wife what had happened. She vowed to Kill Elijah within the day, and Elijah became afraid and fled for his life. Wait, what?! Yep, the man who just saw God send fire from heaven became afraid and discouraged. He fled the region and hid in a cave. 

Now, let me pause the story for just a second. I have seen God do some incredible things in my life – miracles even. However, many times after God does a miracle the enemy comes in and attacks. Have you experienced this? I have. It’s weird to read about Elijah experiencing this discouragement, but in a way it makes me feel better about when I experience discouragement. As the story continues, I can see how God ministered to Elijah. It says that when God came to find Elijah in the cave a mighty wind blew, an earthquake shook the mountain, and fire appeared…but God wasn’t in any of those.  Then, God got Elijah’s attention when he was hiding in the back of the cave with a soft whisper. I love that! And as God met him at the mouth of the cave and He asked him, “What are you doing here Elijah?” 

I always find it interesting when God asks me a question to which He already knows the answer. God wants me to acknowledge where I am and what I am doing. 

Lamentations 3:40 says, 

“Let us examine our ways, and test them; and let us return to the Lord.” 

When I find myself discouraged or afraid, I need to remember to listen for God. Perhaps He is whispering to me and wants me to be encouraged. 

So, I hope you are doing well but if you are experiencing some discouragement, that’s ok. Elijah, a prophet of God, also experienced discouragement and doubt. Jesus is waiting and calling to you to receive his grace. 

 “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged” (Deuteronomy 31:8). 

Click HERE to listen to "Not Afraid" by Red Rocks Worship

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent