What's Your Destination?


By Carl Kimbrow, Fellowship Bible Church Rogers Celebrate Recovery Devotional Team writer, 1/8/20

On life’s road we all take detours. Sometimes our detours are caused by things we can’t control like sickness, injuries and financial setbacks. Sometimes it’s self-inflicted by things like addiction or other sinful behavior.

When we hit a detour, the solution seems simple. We work hard to try to get our life pointed back towards our destination where we think everything will be alright, and that once we reach that destination, our journey will be over. But, what I’ve found in that situation is that the journey isn’t over, it’s just starting!

When I first came to Celebrate Recovery, I wanted freedom from my sin and struggles. My detour was a rocky road full of potholes that I wanted to get off as fast as possible. Over the first few months, the potholes became fewer in number, and the road signs pointed to an exit ahead. That brought a feeling of relief. If I could reach the exit I could get back on the highway and soon reach my destination of peace of mind and freedom from my struggles, and my journey would be over. Little did I know that what I saw as my destination would only be a “rest stop” in my life.

“The LORD is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to Him.” Psalm 28:7

When my attempt to “fix” myself fails, I must put my faith in the Lord and trust in His plan. When I turned my problems over to God and trusted Him to help me, I reached the “rest stop” in my life I needed so badly. When I joined a step study Godly people came into my life in the form of accountability partners who helped me focus on life change. They soon became close personal friends whom I trust and love deeply. The change was so freeing and felt so good that I wanted to camp out in my “rest stop” forever! But God would not allow me to make this my destination because He had other plans for me.

“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10

God has made us in His image. In order to be a good steward of that image, I must follow the example of Christ and live a life that serves others. As I sat in my “rest stop,” I heard God tell me it was time to get back on the highway because freedom from my sin and struggle wasn’t my destination – becoming more Christ-like is my life’s journey. As I learned this, God began to put opportunities to serve others in front of me. At first, I resisted. But over time, God created a desire to serve others where I was able to do so. Service brought an inner peace I had never known. It helped me stay on the highway and avoid bumpy detours. I had a closer relationship with God than I ever had before. Serving God by serving others let me see how God would allow me to be a part of His plan. My journey didn’t end when I found freedom from my destructive habits, it was just beginning!

As I travel life’s highway, I remind myself not to be discouraged by detours. Detours can be God’s way of bringing me closer to Him.  As I turn my focus on God, He will guide me back to the highway and use my experiences to help and guide others. My relationship with God will grow stronger, and I will find joy and peace.

Click HERE to listen to "The Joy of the Lord" by Rend Collective

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent