A Servant’s Heart

By Carl Kimbro, Fellowship Bible Church Rogers Celebrate Recovery Devotional Team writer, 1/22/20

Do I live to serve, or to be served? How I answer this question determines what my relationship with Christ is really like. Celebrate Recovery provides me with an opportunity to answer this question. CR is a place where broken hurting people come to find healing through a relationship with Christ. But when I first came to CR, serving was the furthest thing from my mind. I wanted healing and hope, but I didn’t know at the time how serving others would be a major part of that.

When I first came to CR, I was more concerned about my situation than that of others. I didn’t see the hurt and pain of others around me. I saw only my own need and the desire to do whatever it took to solve my problems. I wanted my pain and struggles to go away. Service was not even on my radar. I was too tired and worn out by the chaos in my life.

But as time passed and I began to grow in my relationship with Christ, God put opportunities for service in front of me. At first, I resisted the opportunities and saw myself as unworthy of serving. I had too many problems. God couldn’t use me. I wasn’t qualified to serve or help others when I couldn’t even help myself. But with the encouragement of others in CR who helped me carry my burdens, I began to see things differently. I felt God open doors and show me where I could be used. Slowly I began to serve and get involved in service opportunities. Serving with the right attitude and for the right reasons felt good. It made me happy to see others progress in their recovery and to know God had allowed me to play a small part in that, and I made good friends as a result. God was blessing my desire to serve willingly and for the right reasons.

When I serve others, I am following God’s principles set out for me in the bible. But service isn’t always easy, and it doesn’t come naturally for me. It takes intentional thoughts and actions to serve God through serving others. It can be exhausting after a long mentally and physically tiring day. Paul acknowledges that in Galatians even while he encourages us to serve others.

Let us not become weary of doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers”. Galatians 6:9-10

God expects me to serve Him by serving others. He will give me opportunities to serve if I look for them. As I continue to progress in my recovery, I need to pause often and ask myself, “Am I living to serve or to be served?” Do I have the “Heart of a Servant” who is willing to be used by God? I don’t want to miss out on God’s blessings that come through serving, so I must be willing to serve God and others with a “Servant’s Heart.”

Click HERE to listen to "Motion of Mercy" by Francesca Battistelli

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent