Rejoicing in all my circumstances

By Carl Kimbro, our brother in Christ at Fellowship Bible Church NWA Celebrate Recovery

“Before I bring my need I will bring my heart and seek you. Before I lift my cares I will lift my arms. Before I speak a word, let me hear your voice. In the midst of pain let me feel your joy.”

I love music because so many songs tell my story. These words from the Lauren Daigle song “First” are very convicting for me. I pray often to God, but almost always seeking something. Very little of my prayers seek a strong relationship with Him. I feel justified to pray in this manner. After all, life can be overwhelming. I didn’t ask to have my life turned upside down with the girls. I had big plans that may never come true. I’m not happy at times and if God wants what’s best for me, then He should be only too happy to fix it for me. But is that what scripture tells me my prayer life should be like?

1st Thessalonians 5:16-18 tells us: “Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing; give thanks in all
circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you”. These verses are often read and quickly passed by without much thought. But what do they really mean?


  • Rejoice always – Always is hard. But, I should rejoice in all my circumstances. Not just when things are good, but even when they are bad. Paul set the example. Even in jail he preached the Gospel and praised God. He was unjustly jailed, yet he rejoiced! He was serving God faithfully and his reward was prison? Really? How could he possible rejoice? But rejoice he did! He saw the glorious future with God as worth the trouble. He didn’t let circumstances sour his relationship with God.
  • Pray without ceasing – How often and how long should I rejoice in prayer? Paul says always and without stopping. That means my mind should be constantly seeking Him in prayer in all circumstances. Are things going well? Then pray without ceasing. Do I feel sick, frustrated, alone, or sad? Then pray without ceasing. The bible says all of my circumstances should be seen as an opportunity to pray.
  • Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God – God can’t be serious! First He says I have to rejoice no matter what. Then He says I have to pray all the time no matter what. Now He says I have to give thanks in all circumstances. What if I’m overwhelmed by the task of being a parent again? What if I’m frustrated by a life I dreamed of in my older years disappearing? What if I’m dealing with my son back in jail again and suddenly remembering he has parents because he needs us? What if I’m out of a job? I’m supposed to give thanks for those things? The answer is a resounding YES!

When I slowly read them and think about their meaning, these verses can be daunting. But after reading them and trying to understand them, I have decided to put them into practice in my life. An “attitude adjustment” on my part may be what I need to change my sadness during difficult or frustrating times to a disposition of joy and peace. It may also change my relationship with others and make me a strong witness for Jesus and his kingdom.

Click HERE to listen to "First" by Lauren Daigle


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent