Key Chain of Recovery

A few months ago, I picked up two more Celebrate Recovery chips. One was a 30-day chip for my original issue and the other was for a secondary issue that I discovered in my life during the initial stages of my recovery.

I choose to keep my CR chips on my key chain, both as a reminder but also, quite frankly, so I don't lose them. When I tried to put these two new chips on my chain, they simply wouldn't go on. I started to feel a small amount of despair but I was determined to keep the chips and keep them in that spot. That's when I started analyzing why they wouldn't go on. It wasn't because I couldn't figure it out, it was because I had too many things on the chain.

So I started looking at what all I had on there. What I found surprised me. I had: two keys to where I used to live; a key to my parents' house two states away (that don’t even work anymore because the locks have been changed); a key to some friends’ house that again, don’t work because they have recently changed the locks; one key to where we live now, two keys to a master lock, a key to my old mailbox and my car key. WHEW! I started evaluating what I really needed or didn't need. At first I just took off the key to my old place that I knew for sure was for that apartment (the other key I was pretty sure was for that apartment but I waited to test it at my new place to make sure it wasn’t for the new back door).

The chips still didn't fit.

So I looked at the keychain more closely. That's when it hit me. I don't need the key to my friends’ house because for one thing, it doesn’t even work. But quite frankly, part of my recovery has involved greatly loosening the ties I have with them so having a key to their home no longer seemed appropriate. So I took that off. I then saw the key to my parents’ house and thought, why keep a key to a house that I only visit once a year? So I took off that key. The other keys to my old apartment were easy so I took them off too.

I looked at what I had in my hand and somehow it all became symbolic to me. In my hand I was holding keys to the past. Keys to a past where many good things happened, but also many painful things. By holding on to those specific pasts, I was holding on to the pain.

So I threw them away. All of them. The only keys that are on my keychain now are for our current home, my car and the master lock.

Oh, and now not only is my keychain a ton lighter, all my recovery chips fit just fine...with room for more.
CR attendee

Comments

  1. Gail McConnell: I loved the testimony above. It sharpened my own iron and gave me the courage to give back. As I began to meditate on the words "keys" and "chains", the Holy Spirit led me to the Word:

    "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of Heaven; and whatever you bind (declare to be improper and unlawful) on earth must be what is already bound in heaven; and whatever you loose (declare lawful on earth) must be what is already loosed in heaven." Matthew 16: 19

    "And suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared (standing beside him), and a light shone in the place where he was. And the angel gently smote Peter on the side and awakened him, saying, Get up quickly! And the chains fell off his hands." Acts 12: 7

    "SO YOU, my son, be strong (strengthened inwardly) in the grace (spiritual blessing) that is (to be found only) in Christ Jesus...For that (Gospel) I am suffering affliction and even wering chains like a criminal. But the Word of God is not chained or imprisoned!" II Timothy 2: 1,9

    The only keys I ever need are the keys of heaven which give me the wisdom and the courage to bind on earth that which is already bound in heaven and to loose on earth that which is already loosed in heaven. I can bind the enemy IN JESUS NAME. I can bind fear IN JESUS NAME. I can loose courage IN JESUS NAME.
    I can bind pride IN JESUS NAME. I can loose humility IN JESUS NAME. I can bind blame and resentment IN JESUS NAME. I can loose forgiveness and acceptance IN JESUS NAME. I can bind anxiety IN JESUS NAME. I can loose peace within me, IN JESUS NAME. He gives me the keys of the kingdom of heaven because He is my Lord and He lives in me and through me.

    I am no longer in chains to the enemy...no longer a prisoner of war locked up without freedom to satan and self. Although I tried for years as a Christian and even in Celebrate Recovery to set myself free through self-will, it was only after I cried out to Jesus in sheer agony that He came into the prison where my child was bound by lie-based thinking and chained to the original memory of my emotional trauma. He validated me. Then He told me the Truth. Forgiveness for others, forgiveness for my self, peace and joy beyond human explanation came into me as I stood in that cell which held my child prisoner. Jesus opened the prison doors of my mind and soul. He smiled as I opened the door and walked out free to truly LIVE FOR HIM ALONE. The chains of oppression and the past fell off of me. My child had light in her and around her. I had a personal encounter with the Master. The devil curled up and became a footstool beneath my feet. People in the world may attempt to lock me up in human chains...but I will not be silent anymore. In Christ I will walk victoriously for not even hell itself will ever again prevail against me. The Word is not chained or imprisoned. Satan can no longer keep me from bearing witness to the Gospel and from giving my ongoing testimonies of Christ in me...moving in me and through me everyday for purposes that He declares to be so. The Lord has called me to bear witness, give testimony and set the captives free!!!

    About key chains...today in Christ Jesus I hold the key of life. Today God commands me to use the key of life and the freeom from chains to live for Him as a servant: "(Live) as free people, (yet) without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but (live at all times) asservants of God." 1 Peter 2: 16. With His will in me, which is His Word that I meditate on day and night), and the power of His indwelling Holy Spirit as my helper, I will obey this command.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent