Fear of the Lord

 By Eric Hutchinson, Fellowship Rogers CR Training Coach, 11/3/21

What do you think of when you hear the word fear? I immediately think of my childhood worries. I was scared of the dark and would sometimes lay in bed sweating in fear. I would worry that something was in my dark bedroom that might hurt me. I was also scared of the ocean because I saw the movie Jaws when I was 8 and was really afraid that a shark might eat me if I was to go into the ocean. I remember being scared of a bully in my neighborhood who would get physical if you didn’t do what he said.

 

The word fear seems to equate to being scared or really worried about something. So, when the Bible says that I should Fear the Lord, I immediately equate that to being scared of God. 

The Bible says in Proverbs 1:7,

The fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge.”

That’s a huge claim and emphasizes the importance of fearing God.  Proverbs 14:7 says, “The fear of the Lord is a life-giving fountain; it offers escape from the snares of death.” That doesn’t sound like something I should be scared of. Proverbs 19:23 says, “The fear of the Lord leads to life, bringing security and protection from harm.” These are positive attributes that make me question my definition of fear. Take a look at Psalms 130:3-4, “Lord, if you kept a record of our sins, who, O Lord, could ever survive? But you offer forgiveness that we might learn to fear you.” This verse gives me some insight to fearing the Lord. How, do you feel when someone forgives you? I feel a strong sense of gratefulness. Can fearing God make me feel grateful? Absolutely! In 1 John chapter 4 it tells me that God is love and that His kind of love expels all fear (1 John 4:18).  So, if I’m not supposed to be afraid of God then what does it mean to fear the Lord? The Hebrew word for fear is Yirah which is translated as “Awe.” So, when the Bible says we are to fear the Lord it means we are to revere Him, stand in awe of him, worship Him with respect and wonder. This creates gratefulness in my heart and gives me the right perspective in life. He is the creator God, worthy of my praise and reverence. Another translation of Yirah is “Trembling.” However, this is NOT trembling from being scared of something, but out of astonishment, admiration and amazement!

Two years ago my youngest daughter, Hadley, and I went to the highest peak in Colorado. We climbed Mount Elbert. It was AMAZING! We were astonished as we viewed God’s creation from the top of a mountain. As I fear God it leads me into worship. This past summer I went to the Celebrate Recovery Summit in Dallas. As I worshiped with 5,000 Christians, I cried tears of Joy that God had saved me from my addiction and that he could use me in His service.

 

How about you? When was the last time you stopped to fear God? I want to encourage you to do that right now. God is our Higher Power, our Creator, and capable of a multitude of miracles in your life! I hope this devo finds you in a good place but if not, take a moment to fear God and allow Him to bring perspective to your life. May God bless you and your family this week!

 

“And they sang in a mighty chorus: “Worthy is the Lamb who was slaughtered— to receive power and riches and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and blessing.” And then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea. They sang: “Blessing and honor and glory and power belong to the one sitting on the throne and to the Lamb forever and ever.” And the four living beings said, “Amen!” And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped the Lamb.”

Revelation 5:12-14 NLT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent