Be Aware!

By Eric Hutchinson, Fellowship Rogers CR Training Coach

About five years ago my wife and I were down in my basement watching TV. We saw something slithering toward the TV through the carpet. My wife immediately stood up on top of the couch and started screaming! This was not helpful. HA! Anyway, I turned on the lights and discovered that there was not just one baby snake in our house but
four. I caught and assassinated three but the fourth snake went under one of our baseboards, and we had to go to bed knowing that there was a snake in the house. As we got up the next morning we were a little nervous walking around the house not knowing where the snake was hiding. We kept looking on the floor as we walked around. Well, I
got a handyman to fix the hole where the snakes got in and he found the forth snake. Whew!
 

How would your actions change if I told you there was a snake in your house? How would that knowledge change your actions? Would you be looking for it? I think you would. How about if I told you that there was definitely a million dollars cash hidden somewhere in your house. It might be in your walls, your attic, or it may just be under your sink. Would you do anything different when you got home? Of course you would! I would literally tear my house apart looking for that money if I really believed it existed somewhere in my home. Why, because that million dollars is worth a LOT more than any damage that I could do to my house looking for it. 

Here’s the point. The Bible tells us that we have an enemy that is working against us. 
Ephesians 6:12 tells us that our fight is NOT against flesh-and-blood enemies but 
against an unseen enemy in the spiritual realm. Do you believe that? The Bible says it’s 
true. How does that change your actions? John 10:10 says, “The thief comes to steal, kill 
and destroy…” 1 Peter 5:8 says, “Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. 
He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.” If this is true, and 
it is, shouldn’t I be watching and looking for where the enemy is attacking? Absolutely! I 
need to be AWARE of the enemy and his tactics. He wants me to fail. He wants me to 
be defeated. He is always looking for an opportunity to sneak into my life and cause 
chaos. But let me give you something else to be AWARE of. 

Principle two says, “Earnestly believe that God exists, that I matter to him, and that He 
has the power to help me recover.” John 10:10 does say that the thief comes to steal, kill 
and destroy, but then it turns right around and says that Jesus comes to give us the  
abundant life. 1 John 4:4 says that the one that is in you is greater than the one who is in
the world. Psalms 139:7-10 says, “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee  
from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the 
depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the 
sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.” I love this 
verse! This makes me AWARE that that God is ALWAYS with me. 

Let me conclude with one final verse of encouragement. In John 16:33, Jesus was telling 
his disciples about some hard things to come. He said, “…Here on earth you will have 
many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” Are you  
struggling with some hard things right now? Are you discouraged because of the state of
the world or your current circumstances? Be encouraged! Your higher power, Jesus 
Christ, is not only with you but can give you the strength to overcome any struggle or 
circumstance. I hope you are doing well friend but if not, be AWARE that Jesus Christ 
is right next to you ready to take over anytime you are willing. Love you friends. Have a 
blessed week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent