God Will Fight For You!

By Eric Hutchinson, Fellowship Bible Church Rogers Celebrate Recovery Training Coach, 12/2/20

The Lion King is one of my oldest daughter’s favorite Disney movies. The movie is about a lion named Simba. When Simba was a cub his father, King Mufasa, told him he could go anywhere in the pride-land, but he was not allowed to go outside the borders. Well, Simba decided to do just that and disobeyed his father. With his friend Nala by his side they entered a very dangerous place. Hyenas inhabited this place, and hyenas and lions were sworn enemies. 

With Simba and Nala being only cubs, they were easy prey. As the hyenas closed in the two lion cubs tried to get away, but the hyenas were too fast and too strong. Simba and Nala were backed into a corner. Simba decided to let out a roar to hopefully frighten the hyenas away, but because he was a small cub his roar wasn’t very intimidating. In fact, it was a running joke during the first part of the movie. Still, Simba had very few options, so he took a deep breath and tried to let out the most intimidating roar he could. Much to Simba’s (and the hyenas’) surprise, when his roar came out it was loud and intensely vicious! How could this be?! Well, unbeknownst to Simba & Nala, the Lion King, Mufasa, had found the two cubs and had come to their rescue. He was standing right behind them, and when Simba decided to roar, Mufasa roared right behind him. The hyenas were terrified when they realized the King was there! They knew they had NO CHANCE against the fully grown Lion King. Simba thought his roar had scared the hyenas away, but then he looked behind him and saw the real reason the hyenas ran. 

 I love this story because it’s a great analogy of how I am powerless, and God is powerful! I am powerless against my hurts, habits and hang-ups, but if I allow God into the battle he can give me victory over anything. At Celebrate Recovery we do exactly that. We invite Jesus Christ, our higher power, into our battles against addiction, past hurt, and even our character defects of which we have no control. Praise God!

Exodus 14:14 says, “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” 

Hebrews 13:6 says, “So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear.  What can mere people do to me?” 

Psalms 27:1 says, “The Lord is my light and my salvation – so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Are you battling something in your life that seems incredibly hard and difficult to defeat? Look behind you! Jesus Christ is standing there waiting to roar and send the enemy running. I hope this finds you in a good place but if not, God is waiting to jump in and defeat the enemy. Just stand still, and let Jesus be King over your hurts, habits and hang-ups. May God bless you this week my friend!

Click HERE to listen to "Do It Again" by Elevation Worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent