Everything Changes, Except..

By Eric Hutchinson, Fellowship Bible Church Rogers Celebrate Recovery Training Coach, 11/4/20

I love this time of year so much! The leaves are changing colors, temperatures are near perfect, and the holidays are just around the corner.  Have you ever noticed, there is a general rule of life that everything changes?  Time moves on, causing people and things to age.  I remember when time moved slowly, and I thought I had forever to live.  Now, my hair is falling out, I have wrinkles, and my body won’t let me do things that I once could.  My kids are growing up, my house needs repairing, my car is gaining mileage, and houses are being built on my street as I write this devotional.  The world is becoming more populated, our culture more diverse, and what I used to call normal has changed, and now a “new normal” has been created.  Everything seems to be in a constant state of change. 

I remember so vividly getting a call from my parents at 4:00 am one morning and telling me that my brother had taken his own life.  I was going through a divorce at the time and this was one more brick being laid on my already broken back.  Is there anything constant?  Can I rely on anything to be the same and give me some kind of solid foundation? 

Well, you probably know where I am going with this.  Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, is constant.  He has always been, and he will always be.  He is the Great I AM.  He is the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last.  NOTHING escapes His vision, and nothing catches Him by surprise. 

Hebrews 13:8 says, “Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever.”  Isaiah 40:8 says, “The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever.” 

If your foundation has been shaken by an earthquake from the enemy, listen to these words of Jesus:

Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.  Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock.  But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on the sand.  When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.” Matthew 7:24-27 NLT

That was me many years ago.  Life beat on me, and my foundation was not built on Christ.  It was built on the sands of Eric.  I thought I was invincible, untouchable, and unshakeable.  My life crashed, and great was the crash.  Then, I came to Celebrate Recovery and God moved my build site.  He restored my soul and created a new life in freedom.  Praise God!  I hope your foundation is strong, and that you are clinging to the only constant we have in this life and the next.  That constant, that solid rock foundation is none other than our higher power Jesus Christ. 

If you feel shaken by the enemy, turn your eyes back to Jesus, and hang on to His promises.  He will never leave you, nor forsake you. (Joshua 1:5, Deuteronomy 31:6 & 8, Hebrews 13:5).  My God bless you and keep you this week!

Click HERE to listen to "Steadfast Love" by Fellowship Worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent