"What Drives Me?"

By Carol Holmstrom, National Assimilation Coach, September 11, 2017


"So many of our prayers are self-centered grocery lists of personal cravings that have no bigger agenda than to make our lives a little more comfortable... They are motivated more by awe of ourselves and our pleasures than by a heart-rattling, satisfaction-producing awe of the Redeemer to whom we are praying."
  -Paul David Trip     

I read this in a book...and it shook me to my core. How many times have I used God in my prayers for this exact thing? How can I approach the creator of the universe with such apathy, such ungratefulness that all I do is ask for stuff? Why do I lose the awe of who He is and what He's done for me? I get to witness miracles every day in myself and others because of who He is...and yet...

Then I read Psalm 145. It was like these words were speaking directly to me and in a way I've never heard them before. I've read this Psalm, several times actually. But this time...this should be my life's grand agenda. It led me to write out my own personal prayer that has nothing to do with what I want and everything to do with who He is.

You are holy. You are worthy. I declare that You are good and I'll praise You more and more. I stand in awe of Your grace and mercy. Your love has no end. I will praise You ever more.

Ultimately, my worship and awe of Him should drive me every day. It should be the reason I get out of bed. The reason I go to work. The reason I smile or cry or laugh. The reason I love my spouse and my kids and my friends and random strangers. The point is, it should be THE reason I live. Too often I lose sight of that. I get bogged down in the struggles or the tears or the things I don't understand. So, if you are feeling overwhelmed or maybe a little ungrateful, take a look at Psalm 145. It just might change your perspective.
Psalm 145:
Great Is the Lord
[a] A Song of Praise. Of David.
145 I will extol you, my God and King,
    and bless your name forever and ever.
Every day I will bless you
    and praise your name forever and ever.
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised,
    and his greatness is unsearchable.
One generation shall commend your works to another,
    and shall declare your mighty acts.
On the glorious splendor of your majesty,
    and on your wondrous works, I will meditate.
They shall speak of the might of your awesome deeds,
    and I will declare your greatness.
They shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness
    and shall sing aloud of your righteousness.
The Lord is gracious and merciful,
    slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
The Lord is good to all,
    and his mercy is over all that he has made.
10 All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord,
    and all your saints shall bless you!
11 They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom
    and tell of your power,
12 to make known to the children of man your[b] mighty deeds,
    and the glorious splendor of your kingdom.
13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
    and your dominion endures throughout all generations.
[The Lord is faithful in all his words
    and kind in all his works.][c]
14 The Lord upholds all who are falling
    and raises up all who are bowed down.
15 The eyes of all look to you,
    and you give them their food in due season.
16 You open your hand;
    you satisfy the desire of every living thing.
17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways
    and kind in all his works.
18 The Lord is near to all who call on him,
    to all who call on him in truth.
19 He fulfills the desire of those who fear him;
    he also hears their cry and saves them.
20 The Lord preserves all who love him,
    but all the wicked he will destroy.
21 My mouth will speak the praise of the Lord,
    and let all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever.

Please click HERE to listen to "You are Holy" by Michael W. Smith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent