Let It Go! Let It Go!


I remember hearing this song for the first time. I had not seen the Disney movie, Frozen, at that point. I had only heard that characters named Olaf, Sven, Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff had mesmerized a lot of the local college guys. They were known to see the movie again and again and had learned all of the songs. I admit I dismissed the whole thing as to too much time on their hands and not enough time with their noses in their books.Eventually, curiosity got the best of me. I admit to hoping on YouTube more than a time or two to listen to several of the songs from the movie. 
What do a hit pop song, a bunch of made up characters, and a story adapted from Hans Christian Andersen’s The Ice Princess have to do with real life and recovery? Well, from my perspective, here are some things that struck a chord with me. I never know when, where or how a life lesson may appear.
Let’s start with denial. No, it’s not just a river in Egypt. (Poor attempt at humor, I know.) Denial holds us back from embracing who we really are and from living freely. I can choose to pretend something has not happened or that I have not been made a certain way that I think I would prefer, ultimately resulting inliving in conflict or resentment. OR, I can choose to Let It Go! I can be honest with my hurts, habits, and hang-ups. I can admit that I am powerless to do the wrong thing. I can choose to move beyond unmet expectations, mine or someone else’s
How about acceptance? Once we step out of denial it doesn’t necessarily mean the next step is acceptance. Sometimes there is a suspended state in between called limbo. I admit what did or did not happen; yet I am not willing to fully accept or embrace an alternative idea or reality. Have I fully accepted the truth? Am I able to Let It Go and move on toward healing?
When we step out of denial and into acceptance, we have made a decision. Are you familiar with the idea that not making a decision is in and of itself, making a decision? Awareness does not equal a decision. I am aware of a lot of things that would make me healthier and my life “easier”. It doesn’t mean I do them. True decision means changing. Part of the Latin root of the words decide, decides, and decision is “caedree” meaning to cut off. A real decision eliminates other options. It is a real way to Let It Go.
Have you ever played a scenario in your mind over and over? Rehashed the story with family and friends again and again? The tighter we hold onto hurts, habits, and hang-ups, the harder it is to let go. If I have my fists clinched around something, fighting to hold onto what I know, whether I really want it or not; I am not open to receive something that might be better or at a minimum release the strain and stress of holding on by relaxing or releasing my grip.
When Anna stopped living in denial and anger over her reality and began to accept the facts, she had a decision to make. She could continue to struggle, mourn, and freeze out others OR she could release her expectations, her hurts, habits and hang-ups. It was up to her.  Just like it is up to us. What will you do today? Are you willing to Let It Go?
If so, throw your arms out wide, hold your head up high, decide and declare it! Let It Go!
Daphne- CR leader and volunteer, Fellowship Bible Church

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent