The Word and Worship




“So, how’s your time in the Word going?” That’s a question one of my first mentors asked me on a regular basis. It wasn’t about him hounding me or trying to make me feel guilty. It was all about simple, yet profound truths about the Bible that we knew were true and life-changing. So, we agreed to help each other in staying “in the Word” – in the Bible. Why? Don’t some people just call it another religious book written by a bunch of guys running around in togas and sandals? Yeah, that has been said, but it has been proven to be far more than that. And, it IS far more than that. (For more about this, see www.josh.org and click on “Can I Trust the Bible?”). It is God’s written Word – His loving instruction to us, His cherished creation. Absolutely reliable. Totally true. And, it’s more than info. It is filled with the truth we need. And, it is filled with power!

Psalm 119:25 “I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word.”

Let’s go back to the original question: How’s your time in the Word going? But, let’s turn it around: How’s the Word in you going? We get into the Word so it can get into us. And as it gets into us and we respond in obedience, life-change begins to happen. It’s part of the whole “working it” process in recovery. The old saying, “Garbage in, garbage out” really is true. So, with God’s Word, we replace the garbage we’ve been putting into our lives with the powerful, healthy, life-changing words of God. So, what will the output be? It can only be power, health, and life-change! A new way of thinking and living will permeate us.

That same mentor also told me: “If your output exceeds your input, your upkeep becomes your downfall.” It was a simple formula meant to remind me that if I try to run this life – to travel this road to recovery (output) without the regular input of God’s Word, my “upkeep” will become my downfall. I’ll run out of power. I’ll grow unhealthy. I may even relapse. I need that regular input from God.

OK…so what does all of this have to do with “worship”? One tool for worship is music. I love music. And, I love God’s Word. So, when those two “loves” come together in an incredible way, I am moved, encouraged, strengthened, renewed. We’ve been singing a song on Friday nights called “How Great!” The lyrics are straight out of First John 3:1 “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” and from John 3:16 ““For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Wow! Awesome truths! And, if you’ve been around the past 3 or 4 months on Friday nights, you’ve probably almost memorized this song. So what’s the big deal? Well we are getting into the Word through the music while the Word is getting into us – into our mind, into our heart, into our life, into our recovery!



So, just as Rodney continues to give us the “Stinkin’ Thinkin’ Challenge,” maybe you’d like to add the “Stinkin’ Singin’ Challenge!” (Even if you don’t like to sing, you can definitely listen.) And here’s an easy way to do it. Go out and buy a couple of CDs that I highly recommend. They are called “Glory Revealed: The Word of God in Worship.” There’s two volumes. “How Great” is from volume 2. We’ve also done a great, delta blues song – Wake Up, O Sleeper” - from that same CD. And, we’ll be doing more of them soon. If you want to know more, check out the “Glory Revealed” website – www.gloryrevealed.com. Or if you are ready to dive in right now, you can download the songs or go to one of our local Christian bookstores and pick up the discs.

Get ready! God’s word is powerful and effective! You in the Word; the Word in You. When that it happening, worship will automatically happen.

Psalm 119:9-11 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”


For more info about Celebrate Recovery, contact David at (479) 878-2985 or daattebery@fellowshipnwa.org.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent