Safe Haven

By Eric Hutchinson, Fellowship Bible Church, Rogers, Celebrate Recovery TEAM Training Coach, Devotional Team writer, 7/8/20

This past week I read about the Fortress of Masada. An ancient stone fortress located in Israel just West of the Dead Sea. It was built by King Herod of Judea during his reign somewhere around 35 B.C. Herod created this fortress to be a safe haven against enemies. The fortress had palaces, large storerooms, water cisterns, and a foreboding wall to withstand even the greatest attacks. 1,300 feet above the Dead Sea on a rocky mesa (see picture included), it sits on 840 acres and is now an Israeli national park.

In 66 A.D. the Jews revolted against the Roman Empire and started, what is known today as, the Jewish War. In 70 A.D. the Romans destroyed and conquered Jerusalem, and a small rebel force, around 1,000 men, women, and children, fled from Jerusalem to the Fortress of Masada. With Jerusalem destroyed, the Romans turned their attention to the fortress and sent over 8,000 soldiers to squash what was left of the Jewish rebellion, but the fortress held strong for almost 3 years! However, the Romans, after building a large ramp and tower, breached the fortress walls and in 73 A.D. ended the Jewish revolt.

I tell you this true story, because it reminded me that if my “Safe Haven” is anything but Jesus Christ, it will fall.  If I put my trust in anything but God, I’m headed for a failure. In my own recovery I could remain sober for months, but eventually I would fall. I was trusting in my own strength and power. Sometimes I was trusting in others, hoping that their accountability was all I needed to keep me from relapse.  That was a false assumption. 

I’ve been attending Celebrate Recovery for almost ten years now.  God led me here. CR has been a powerful tool in my recovery, but make no mistake, it is Jesus Christ who deserves all the credit! During this pandemic, it feels as though Celebrate Recovery has been physically stripped from me. Sure, I attend Zoom CR open share groups and meet with my sponsor and accountability partners over the phone and online. However, this year has taught me that Celebrate Recovery is just a tool in the hands of Jesus.  My eyes need to stay focused on Jesus, because He is my Safe Haven. 

Psalms 127:1 says, “Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.” 

Two important principles that CR teaches are: Principle 2, “Earnestly believe that God exists, that I matter to Him, and that He has the power to help me recover.” And Principle 7 which says, “Reserve a daily time with God for self-examination, Bible reading and prayer in order to know God, and his will for my life, and to gain the power to follow His will.” During this time of unrest, conflict and confusion, keep your eyes glued to Jesus. Run to Him, and allow him to be your Safe Haven. 

Proverbs 18:10 says, “The Name of the Lord is a strong fortress; 
the godly run into Him and are safe.”

Click HERE to listen to “Strong Tower” by Kutless


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days Of CR Christmas

Why do we introduce ourselves?

Verbal Reality--Why you can't believe an addict and what you can do as a co-dependent